From Disney Parks Blog:
Several variations of Walt’s personal Chili and Beans recipe can be found in the Walt Disney Archives – with the first recipe dating back to around 1958. Over the years, Disney chefs have refined the recipe for park guests, and today we are sharing the recipe served at Carnation Café at Disneyland park. Their version adds a bit more seasoning than the original recipe from Walt … for a subtle, spicy kick!
Walt’s Chili and Beans from Carnation Café at Disneyland Park
Serves 6 to 8
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 pounds beef stew meat
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons beef base
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in large Dutch oven, over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add stew meat and sauté for 10 minutes, until meat is browned on all sides. Remove stew meat from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to pan, heat for 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add onions and green pepper. Sauté 8-10 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and sauté one minute longer, until garlic is fragrant.
- Add ground beef. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up large chunks of beef, for 10-12 minutes, until beef is no longer pink. Drain excess fat.
- Return stew meat to the Dutch oven with ground beef mixture. Add ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, tomato paste, fresh diced plum tomatoes, diced can tomatoes, beef base, and water.
- Bring chili to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 hours, until stew meat is tender.
- Add pinto beans. Simmer for 10 minutes, until beans are warm.
- Season with salt, as needed.
- Garnish with sour cream, shredded cheddar cheese, and diced tomatoes.
Note: This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version. As a reminder while preparing this recipe, please supervise children who are helping or nearby.
Start Planning Your Disney Vacation Today!
More Disney News Stories
Pixie Vacations is now booking Disney Resort hotel vacation packages for 2020. You are now able to purchase new tickets and plan future visits throughout this year with the Disney Park Pass system, which Walt Disney World is using to help manage attendance. Yes it's...
By: Disney Destinations Get ready to sip, savor, and stroll across six continents at the Taste of EPCOT International Food & Wine Festival! YES, it’s time, once again, to celebrate the best in global food and drink at our longest festival ever starting July 15! ...
The Walt Disney World Resort has reopened and the Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom Theme Park welcome guests for the first time in several months. The Disney cast members have been eagerly anticipating this moment and are looking forward to making magic...
Click Here for our2020 Walt Disney World Crowd Calendar Disney World Crowds 2021 Are you planning a Walt Disney World vacation for 2021? This is the best place to start! Walt Disney World Resort crowds can vary during the year based on holidays, cheer-leading...
January Crowds at Disney World in 2021 look medium to moderate for crowd levels which is a perf3ect time to visit Walt Disney World. You kick off the new year at Walt Disney World with the largest crowds normally over New Years. But then the holidays are over the...